Two Years!

It's been two years since my first story was posted online, culminating in a 20-year dream to become a published author!

Since then, sixteen of my stories have been published in over a dozen anthologies, e-zines, and podcasts. Seven more are to be published by the end of this year (hopefully!), and twelve more have been submitted for consideration. I'm currently working on fifteen additional stories, including two novellas.

What are the greatest lessons I've learned so far? First, tell a real story, not just the idea of one or its disjointed pieces. Second, not to take any rejection hard. I regard them now as a chance to reexamine a story, tweak it into a better one as necessary, and then continue to search for the best, first place to get it out to the world. Lastly, I've learned to simply enjoy the ride. To let the stories come to me as they will and try to craft them as they deserve to be told. And of course, reading, reading, reading all the good stuff out there I can. 

And the biggest surprise? Some people actually seem to like some of my stories!

Anyway, I'm starting a new chapter of my life this fall and will have more time to write. I know I've got a lot to learn and that some of my tales are frankly told better than others. However, each day, I grasp a little more and improve my craft bit by bit (hopefully!).

“Imagination is like a muscle. I discovered that the more I wrote, the bigger it got.”

― Philip José Farmer